International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation
Registration for the fall 2022 International Student Orientation (ISO) program is now open! The program is four days long, from Sunday, August 7th – Wednesday, August 10th. Please review the information and access the registration forms below. Further questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student Orientation will take place from Sunday, August 7th – Wednesday, August 10th, 2022.
ISL organizes an international student orientation each semester for new and transfer international students matriculating to the University of Georgia. The information included in the ISL orientation is not covered by any other orientation program on campus. Highlights from ISL’s orientation schedules include information concerning immigration issues, taxes for non-residents, cross-cultural adjustment, housing assistance, course registration procedures, Social Security Cards, UGA payroll, and campus tours. Current UGA students serve as orientation leaders (called World Leaders) to assist with international orientation sessions.
The fall 2022 international student orientation program meets the University orientation requirement for undergraduate students and is highly recommended for all incoming undergraduate, graduate, and exchange students, regardless of previous study in the United States.
Registration opens during the spring semester for the fall 2022 orientation program. Your registration fee* covers everything listed below for all students:
- Lunches and dinners during the orientation program
- Orientation materials and supplies
- Orientation t-shirt
- Transportation during orientation
- Social events and activities during orientation to help you meet other incoming international students and the World Leaders
Early Registration: before May 31
Regular Registration: June 1 – June 30
Late Registration: July 1 – August 7
- Early Registration: $199 (+ $250 for Housing)
- Regular Registration: $225 (+ $250 for Housing)
- Late Registration: $265 (+ $250 for Housing)
Housing is required for undergraduate and exchange student registration. Graduate students may add Housing. More information is included below. Housing is an additional cost.
*Your registration fee will be billed directly to your Student Account at the beginning of the fall 2022 semester. You will pay your orientation fee through your online Student Account portal.
For students living on campus for the fall 2022 semester, you will be able to move directly into your on-campus housing assignment on Sunday, August 7 by adding on the additional Housing cost. For students living off-campus and in need of temporary housing during orientation, you will be housed in a hotel conveniently located close to campus with World Leaders and other program participants from August 7-11 by choosing the Housing option. If you need Housing during orientation, please register with the Housing option by July 20th in order to reserve your space. If you register for orientation after July 20th and need housing, we will add you to the Housing list as space allows.
*All undergraduate and exchange students are required to stay in Orientation Housing during the program. By staying on campus, you will also have access to conveniences on campus. Advantages of staying in Orientation Housing also include:
- The safety and security of UGA’s campus and residence halls
- The ability to build new friendships with fellow orientation participants and current UGA students serving as your orientation leaders (World Leaders)
- Breakfast in Bolton Dining Commons during the orientation program (on-campus participants) or breakfast at the hotel (students staying off-campus). Breakfast meals are only available to those students staying in Orientation Housing
- Transportation of you and your luggage to your on-campus permanent housing assignment
This option is available for you for an additional cost! You will have the option to register for orientation housing in the registration form below. Should you choose to stay in orientation housing at the hotel from August 7-11, all of the above conveniences will be available during orientation. All rooms are set up with two double beds for you and a roommate (another orientation participant) and you will have access to all of the amenities of the hotel during your stay. Please note that we do have a limited of number of rooms at the hotel, so if you plan to stay in orientation housing, please be sure to register so that we can reserve you a space! If in need of housing, please register by July 20th so that we can add you to the housing reservation list. After July 20th, we will add people into temporary housing as space allows.
If you are interested in learning more about on-campus housing options during your time at UGA, please visit housing.uga.edu. For information about living off-campus, please visit the Off-Campus Living Guide. If you have questions about locating housing for the semester, please contact email@example.com.
Early housing is available for the night of Saturday, August 6th for an additional $60. Please select on your registration form that you are interested in early housing if you plan to arrive on Saturday, August 6th. If you plan to arrive earlier than Saturday, August 6th, you will be responsible for coordinating accommodations prior to the start of the program. If you have questions about where to stay, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Temporary housing in the Holiday Inn Express (Located at 513 W. Broad Street) for students that select the Housing option is from Sunday, August 7 – Thursday, August 11. If you would like to extend your stay at the Holiday Inn Express, please contact the hotel directly to make a reservation. Please let them know that you are a part of the International Student Orientation room block and would like to extend your stay at the hotel, and they will help you coordinate this directly. The phone number for the Holiday Inn Express is (706)546-8122 and more information can be found on their website here.
If you are living off-campus during orientation and you plan to utilize the ISL shuttle service, you will be assessed an additional $25 transportation charge. This charge is a one-time charge and is assessed when you sign up for an ISL shuttle service. Register here for ISL shuttle service.
- Important topics related to UGA academics, safety, wellness, resources, and much more are discussed in detail during this program! Even if you have attended college in the USA before, it is still recommended to attend this program!
- International Student Life and the World Leaders (orientation leaders) are specially trained to help assist international students, like you, transition successfully to the USA and to the University of Georgia!
- You will learn important information about UGA and Athens, including where to shop, eat, and have fun! Our World Leaders are current international and domestic students that have lived in Athens and are here to share their experiences and tips for living a great life in Athens, GA.
- Our World Leader squads help you build a sense of community and establish a network of friends before classes even start!
- International Student Orientation is more than informational sessions! Throughout the program, there will be fun activities and events that allow you to meet your fellow students.
Click here to access a sample schedule. Note that schedules are subject to change.
Registration + Housing
Regular registration price increased on July 1, 2022.
Fee covers housing during the program, lunch and dinner August 7-10, breakfast August 8-10, orientation supplies, t-shirt, transportation, and social activities
Undergraduate, first-year, degree-seeking students can subtract $50 from this cost. Undergraduate students pay a commitment deposit to the University which helps offset their orientation cost.
Graduate Student Registration Only
Regular registration price increased on July 1, 2022
Fee covers lunch and dinner August 7-10, orientation supplies, t-shirt, and social activities
Graduate students can add optional Housing + off-campus transportation for an additional fee
International Student Orientation Handbook
The orientation handbook contains important information about preparing for your journey to Athens, the orientation program, and much more.
Sponsored Student Information for Departments
For UGA departments covering a student’s registration fee, please use this form to provide additional information.